Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rich" <rich318@y...>
Date:  Fri Oct 18, 2002  2:13 pm
Subject:  Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?

Hi Group,

I've been lurking here for about a month and I really love the broad
range of topics discussed. I've gotten some good repertoire
suggestions as well as audition and technique advice just by reading
what you've shared with others.

I fear that what I'm asking is going to be something that has
probably been belabored in the past, but I haven't yet seen the
discussion.

Here's my story: I take Claritin and use NasalCrom to combat my year-
round allergies. For the most part, I don't really suffer dryness
from either. They have allowed me to sing again. I used to really
struggle to get the "ring" in my voice that I am so addicted to. If
you can imagine what singing with a head-cold is like and imagine
always having a cold, you might understand what singing was like for
me before I took Claritin. It was very easy to get frustrated,
especially when my technique was still unsteady.

Well, things are going really well now, BUT I find that for the
really high notes, I either don't reach them at all or they don't
ring if I don't take Sudafed. Sudafed can be very drying and can
eventually cause nodes for singers. It's really not the way to go on
a regular basis.

So my question to the rest of you singers who have allergies that
affect your upper sinuses (which apparently Claritin can't reach),
what can one do?

I do saline lavage (mmm, fun), but still not getting that upper sinus
area to open up. When it's open, I realize why so many singers have
that resonance even while speaking. On Sudafed, I have that ring
too. I know it's not an issue of being able to open up to it. I
think my technique is pretty solid and have had that confirmed by
others. I do sing into the congestion when I'm having it which does
help to some degree, but I'm really addicted to that skull shattering
ring that I know others have on a regular basis.

If anyone has any tricks, something to inhale, maybe steam? I
haven't tried everything yet.

I would really appreciate whatever you can suggest.

Rich

PS. I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm a lyric baritone. Notes that
often don't ring are F/F# G.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20596 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?vintageconnection vintageconnection Mon  10/21/2002
20636 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?Rich rich318 Tue  10/22/2002
20655 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?John Messmer, M.D. singdoc_1 Tue  10/22/2002
20644 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?kriswrite@a... vintageconnection Tue  10/22/2002
20660 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?Reg Boyle bandbau Wed  10/23/2002
20751 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?Karen Mercedes   Mon  11/4/2002
20758 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?norma bowen singerteacher85 Tue  11/5/2002
20761 Re: Upper Sinus Congestion - Any remedies?Mordechai R. Edel   Tue  11/5/2002

emusic.com