Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  5:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

Dre de Man <dredeman@y...> wrote:
> I did not write that countertenors (and castrato's)
> were gay, only that their singing makes people wonder
> whether they are real men in several meanings of the
> word. I don't say this is good or bad, but it is a
> real difference compared to other voices.

You're right - it does seem specific to countertenors. It is so strange,
though - these misconceptions seem confined primarily to Western
classical music! Heavy metal lead singers are as macho as they come, yet
they wear eyeliner and sing countertenor. I don't believe there is
anything inherent to countertenoring that confuses people about gender -
Western "polite" society has just come up with some arbitrary standards
for masculinity and femininity.

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2081 Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrat Reg Boyle   Fri  6/2/2000   3 KB

emusic.com