Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Thu Oct 17, 2002  6:35 pm
Subject:  Re: Ethical ?

Tia, since you are feeling so uncomfortable, I think you already know
the answer to your question. But in case it might be helpful, here
is a description of my own experience with a similar situation.

A few years ago, I studied with two different teachers at the same
time. Each knew about the other, and both were gracious and
supportive enough to give me the chance to realize for myself that
studying with two people at the same time was too confusing for me!
At the end of six months or so, I made the decision to continue with
only one of the teachers, and I have been working with her ever
since. My experience was that it got confusing to work with both of
them -- there was a lot of overlap in their approaches, but there
were occasional differences that cropped up, and that was difficult
to handle. Ultimately it made better sense for me to leave the old
teacher (whom I'd worked with for 4 years) and stay with the new
teacher. I now think of those six months as the transition period.
There were no hard feelings when I made the switch, and the old (now
former) teacher remains a strong advocate for me. I was glad that
I'd been honest from the beginning, because I think there might have
been hard feelings if the grapevine had been the source of
information rather than my own two lips!

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com