Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michelle" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Wed Oct 9, 2002  8:57 am
Subject:  re: dressing up for opera

Maybe we're a little too laid back in Australia for our own good but
I've always viewed going to the opera a terrific opportunity to dress
up in a way I rarely get to. Equally, if I haven't had the time or
money casual gear or day clothes have been just fine. A look around
the audience has proved the same thing. Everything from dinner suits
and diamond tiaras to dirty sneakers and thread bare jeans. I was a
little surprised when this topic came up as it has always been a non-
issue in this obscure corner of the world. My few trips to the Sydney
Opera House were the same, but then again, they have been so few and
far between and my own attitude is so laisse fare that I may have
read the attitude there wrong. (Sydney is a thirteen hour car drive
south of here.)

emusic.com