Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Tue Oct 8, 2002  9:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] long rambling thoughts from a small town voice teacher

I learned an important lesson when I lost my voice for
several weeks. From that experience, I have learned
to teach using hardly any demonstration. I talk
minimally as well. Some will argue that some things
just HAVE to be demonstrated, but I have truly found
that those are few, and when they do come up, one or
two demos is all that is really necessary. If they
don't pick it up from hearing it once or twice, a new
method needs to be found anyway! Usually, my students
are able to demonstrate for themselves once they try
my suggestions.

I have put the ball in my students' court. Instead of
telling them something, I ask them for answers. I am
surprised at how much they can come up with on their
own. One benefit of this is that they are now
learning more than ever before because they are more
actively involved in learning.

Try it. You will be truly shocked at how much your
students can teach themselves! The above is all
really derived from a session I saw with Richard
Boldrey which made me realize that I am not really the
teacher unless the student is ready to learn. This
concept has helped me to hand off so much of what I do
to them. I rarely lecture anymore in lessons. I
realized that they probably absorb about 10% when I am
talking, but more like 90% when they are thinking and
making their own analyses.

I would suggest challenging yourself to 2 weeks of NO
singing in lessons. Absolutely none. This may seem
extreme, but it will show you just how much you can
accomplish without singing a note. I was so surprised
to find my students did not learn less when I wasn't
able to sing. After I got over the ego crush, I
learned that the idea was really a gift.

Keep us posted on your progress!

--- EdgewoodVoiceStudio <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>

http://faith.yahoo.com

emusic.com