Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Tue Oct 8, 2002  3:38 pm
Subject:  re: dressing up for opera

Liz wrote:

>Oh, some of us LIKE to get dressed up! I wore my gorgeous hand-painted silk
>tunic to the Lyric Theater of San Jose's "Merry Widow" on Saturday night
>(THE BEST "MERRY WIDOW" I'VE SEEN YET, AND I'M NOT SAYING THAT JUST BECAUSE
>I HAVE FRIENDS IN THE CAST.) Formal or "dress up" or "Sunday best" is not
>necessarily expensive or uncomfortable. And the part about waiting for
>intermission to "check the plumbing" or walk out of a poor performance is
>just consideration for your fellow audience members.

I'm all for being considerate to fellow audience members (and
performers) by being quiet and attentive during the performance. But
I fail to see how wearing bluejeans if that's what I feel like
wearing constitutes rudeness to fellow audience members. It isn't
that I always want to wear bluejeans to the opera -- but I do
question the orthodoxy of it and the stigma of looking, say, like a
starving student at La boheme! I don't mind getting dressed up every
now and then, but there are times when I would rather have my
eyelashes pulled out one by one than put on a dress! And don't even
ask about lipstick.

Joking aside, my main point is to question the shared expectation,
especially among singers, that we must always look sharp and
diva-like whenever we're at an opera or a concert, as if we in the
audience are on display too.

The silk tunic sounds lovely though! ; ) And congratulations on the
CANDIDE job!

Naomi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20471 Re: dressing up for operaDavid Geary dgeary.geo Wed  10/9/2002
20474 Re: dressing up for operaMichelle drama_diva_au Wed  10/9/2002

emusic.com