Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ms Christine Zimmermann <zimmecp@y...>
Date:  Mon Oct 7, 2002  2:57 am
Subject:  Re:Songs for baritone...and Tosti!

> 2. 3 songs for baritone audition -
> suggestions?
> From: "John Cheshire"
> <vocalist@c...>
>
> 4. RE: .cynthia's beer
> From: "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
John...break a leg with that auditio...I think Les
Berceaux (faure) is a WONDERFUL piece for
Baritone...so definetly check it out...there is so
much you can do with artistry...and the melody is
easily learned in a short time. As for the "Messiah"
check out all of the baritone solos and see which one
you like best...otherwise...get a collection of Handel
arias for baritone (or low voice dep on publisher) and
see which ones you like...if your runs are good there
are some wonderful non-Messiah arias...this could also
cover your italia. when I am in a hurry to find
music...but it has to be new music... find recordings
of singers in my fach (Mezzo) and do a TON of
listening...and narrow down from there...what about a
Mozart aria (Figaro maybe) you mention that you
haven;t been studying long...but would this be "out of
reach"...these are great and fun to learn!!!

To: Sharon
Re: Tosti
I have only used one of Tosti's songs (Ridonimi la
calma) and it seemed to work fine for a student...If
you can...check out the Donaudy songs too...some of
them work well for the young singer!
I understand that one of the music publishers is in
the process of editing more of the Arie Antiche...so
never fear...if you don;t like the Tosti...there will
be more Arie Antiche sooooon!!!

xoxo
christine Z

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 18:26:31 +0100
> From: "John Cheshire"
> <vocalist@c...>
> Subject: 3 songs for baritone audition -
> suggestions?
>
> Dear Vocalisters
>
> My singing teacher yesterday surprised me with
> "John, I am not trying
> to get rid of you, but I think you should consider
> applying to the London
> Guild Hall of Music postgraduate vocal studies".
>
> This is an exciting proposition for me since I have
> not been singing
> classical repertoire for too many months. My
> repertoire is
> limited to Caro Mio Ben, a few english folk songs,
> and several Vaccaj
> vocalises.
>
> So, my mission, should I choose to accept it, is to
> decide on 3 contrasting
> songs in 3 languages to perform at audition in early
> December. My
> teacher has suggested I research anything I can find
> including; Faure,
> English folk songs, 'Italian songs', Handel -
> Messiah, Aaron Copland, Barber.
>
> Fach: Baritone
> Preferred languanges: English, Italian, German

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:10:50 -0700
> From: "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
> Subject: RE: .cynthia's beer
>

> * I think I'll have another beer.>>>>>>>>>>>>
> school students into
> > singing from the 24 italian arias book .... I'll
> drink to that!
> > Deanna reitan
> >

> And I'll join you all since I've just discovered
> that Micholob makes a
> low carbohydrate beer!!! (The one thing I've missed
> most since being on
> my diet
> * this summer!)
>
> Sharon Szymanski
> Ps- I'm getting pretty tired of
> the 24 & 26 myself
> and was thinking of buying an anthology of Tosti
> songs to
> supplement them. Has anyone used them with
> beginners?

=== message truncated ===

http://faith.yahoo.com

emusic.com