Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Oct 7, 2002  1:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] know of any?

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Jodie Bean wrote:

> Hey group I am curious and hope someone knows this:
> I am looking for any piece, a vocal solo piece, composed by Richard Thomas.
It's not a very unique name, an unfortunately my college library does not hold
any sound recordings of his works, so I have to search elsewhere. Problem is, I
don't know what he has written, and an internet search does not bring up
anything about him. Anyone know of anything he has written?

You're in luck (?!) - Thomas writes ONLY music for voice. An untrained
Brit who just happens to be in love with the human voice (from operatic to
punk), Thomas has written at least two major vocal works: TOURETTE'S
DIVA - a cycle of 12 songs/arias for mezzo-soprano and piano - and JERRY
SPRINGER: THE OPERA, which was a hit at last summer's Edinburgh Festival.
The possible problem with any of Thomas' works is
their totally uninhibited use of X-rated language.

This said, you might try to find a copy of the score for
TOURETTE'S or SPRINGER (I have no idea if either has been published -
SPRINGER only debuted in January at the
Battersea Arts Centre in London) - and specifically look at the
aria/song/whatever for Chantel, "I Just Wanna Dance" (for soprano).

Thomas first vocal composition was a group of 20 heckles for coloratura
soprano - written for the soprano Lore Lixenberg to sing in response to
audience insults.

The opera company with which Thomas is associated, KOMBAT OPERA, has also
put together a concert called The Kombat Opera Songbook, which features
several hundred "ariettes" from 15 seconds to 2.5 minutes long, written by
Thomas.

Your best bet for getting hold of any of Thomas' music may be to contact
his recent collaborator Stewart Lee, who has a Website at:
http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/noflash.html. Lee was the co-author of the
libretto for JERRY SPRINGER.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find a web site for Thomas himself.

Good luck!

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I want to know God's thoughts...