Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Nicholas Scholl" <res0kli9@v...>
Date:  Wed Oct 2, 2002  6:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Falsetto or Head? WAS: Head to Chest transition.

Shouldn't we have a functional definition of chest, falsetto, and 'head' voice?
It is my understanding that the Head voice is a mixture of pure [functional
definition of] chest and pure [functional definition of] falsetto. In fact, it
is not only my understanding but my experience, both direct and vicarious. The
Head voice is, ultimately, a prime facility which allows the singer to execute a
true messa di voce on any pitch. Functionally, a countertenor would never be
able to use pure falsetto for a role, as there is no possibility for changes in
intensity/dynamics. Also, pure falsetto uses up the air VERY quickly and has
little aesthetic value.

Therefore, by definition, countertenors today and forever have used a
bastardization of the Head voice. It is one that is primarily falsetto-based,
of course, with some sort of individualized constriction of the chest register
active in the sound. The aesthetic qualities of any voice reflect the
functionality, purity, and balance of the registers.

You see, the question at hand is one of semantics. True, pure falsetto is used
for voice building and never for singing [unless the effect desired is one of a
blousy, hooty, train whistle]. All other voices a mixtures or odd balances of
chest and falsetto functions.

Nick Scholl

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20396 Re: Falsetto or Head? WAS: Head to Chest transition.Tako Oda takooda Fri  10/4/2002

emusic.com