Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Sun Sep 29, 2002  2:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Expressiveness in singing - and allergies

Dear Joscephine and list,

I'm finally catching up on posts after a very busy period. Please bear with
me for bringing up a previous post as well as the first in the subject line.
I'd like to reply to several statements in the two posts..

In your post on allergies you stated that "Nutritional supplements in the
right mega doses are a must, too." This is not fact although you present
it as a given. This may be your experience but I daresay many
nutritionists, registered dietitians and physicians would disagree with you.
I certainly do.

You also said "You will notice that gossipers and people who malign others
as well as those who habitually curse or say bad words represent a big
percentage of people with chronic hoarseness, cough and allergies. If not,
then there must be some other form of negativity in them. Getting rid of
these will definitely bring LASTING relief."

I've never noticed this. Again, this isn't fact. I'm sure many others on
the list are unaware of what you claim to be so clear. It may be your
experience but it's not fact. My poor sniffling, sneezing, allergy-ridden
freshmen are not maligners. They have allergies because of their bodies'
reactions to proteins not because of negativity.

Regarding expressiveness in singing - "What Dr. Clarke was saying may help,
but, perhaps, not all the time. It does work - sometimes- but only to a
limited degree. "

Please don't dismiss Diane's post. The techniques she describes work and
are taught in acting and opera workshop classes. They may not work for you
but they do work for many actors and singers.

Also in your post on expressiveness in singing - "One needs to be IMMERSED
in the emotions depicted. A truly sensitive artist will feel both music and
text and move the voice in that direction.

This isn't fact. This is opinion. Perhaps *you* must be immersed in
emotions as you sing but I am emotionally disconnected from most pieces when
I perform. My instrument could not function if I were to fully experience
sadness or despair in a piece. When performing pieces such as Mahler's
_Kindertotenlieder_ I find the emotional disconnect essential. I couldn't
sing otherwise. I've never sung a recital or a role in which I was immersed
in the "emotions depicted" as I sang. Ensemble, blocking, costume problems,
memory, etc. all are part of the performance. When I perform I'm acting.
I've dealt with the emotions in the learning and coaching process and when
the pieces come to stage the emotions are part of the package but in a
remote way.

Regards,
Cindy Donnell

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date