Vocalist.org archive

From:  Joscephine Gomez <voice_consultant@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 26, 2002  6:12 am
Subject:  Expressiveness in singing

Greetings to Karen and everyone here!

Well said, Karen. I' ve heard your voice and know you to be singing from the
heart. By the way, thanks for inviting me to join this wonderful group.
What Dr. Clarke was saying may help, but, perhaps, not all the time. It does
work - sometimes- but only to a limited degree.
One needs to be IMMERSED in the emotions depicted. A truly sensitive artist will
feel both music and text and move the voice in that direction. When I could't
relate to a song in the past I would "intellectualize" and consciously interpret
therefrom, but hearing my different recordings of the same pieces I could tell
when I really sang fro the heart.
I believe in engaging the student in some psychoanalysis - if one can - in order
to find out what is inhibiting the expression. While the insecurity with
technique may be the reason , this is not always the case as I have heard a lot
of expressive singers who don't know anything about technique and some classical
singers who have difficulty in some technical areas but are able to sing
convincingly - sometimes even moving others to tears.
When I gave a concert in another Asian country in 1994, I was equipped with only
HALF of what I have now - but many in my audience - both Asians and Europeans (
every foreign embassy was represented by its Ambassador and its Cultural
Attache) either cried or said they were moved by my singing - songs in a
language they didn't even understand !
There is indeed a need to know MORE DEEPLY what is blocking a singer's ability
to express or what makes her INSENSITIVE. Counselling will help.
All the best,
Joscephine

Karen Mercedes wrote:First, I suspect her difficulty with expressiveness may be
directly
related to her technical problems - or, more accurately, with her
AWARENESS of her technical problems. She is probably being extra-cautious
about not "messing up" technically, and this caution is inhibiting her in
terms of expression.

The problem is that until she feels her technique is totally grounded to
the point where it's pretty much second nature, she may well continue to
be inhibited about expressiveness - fearing that even if you give her the
"green light" to just "let go and sing", doing so might somehow "undo" her
technical progress.

All this said, I think perhaps you may want to consider two "genres" of
vocal music that may inspire her to be more expressive that you haven't
thought of: sacred music and musical theatre.

I find that art song generally requires a more subtle form of expression.
The emotional expression in lieder, melodies, etc. is probably on too
small a scale to "register" with someone who is starting out
"expressive-challenged". The same is true - and perhaps moreso - with folk
music.

Operatic arias, of course - depending on the aria - can be wildly
expressive, and indeed histrionic. However, they might also be somewhat
frightening in terms of perceived technical demands - and thus would
trigger the "fear of letting go" problem I suggested earlier.

Musical theatre songs, on the other hand, are NOT intimidating technically
for the most part, and there are any number of them that can be sung
beautifully with a "legit" technique (i.e., classical technique), while
not pushing the extremes in terms of technical demands.

Indeed, I think your best bet is to "decouple" technical work from
expressive work to as great an extent as possible. This does NOT mean
having your singer forget technique - but instead, it means choosing
repertoire that is technically easy to sing well, so that your singer can
feel absolutely "sure" of her technique, and can focus entirely on
expression.

Musical theatre songs are also good because they are in English. Even if a
singer absolutely understands every word she sings in a foreign language,
the innate ability to *emote* in that foreign language may simply not be
there - at least not yet. Let's overcome the problem of being inhibited
first, then worry about the problem about being inhibited in another
language.

So I would suggest that you find some really expressive musical theatre
songs - songs that even a corpse would have trouble NOT infusing with
emotion - and have your singer work on those. Some good "scenery chewing"
songs for "legit" musical theatre soprano that you may want to
investigate: no technical tours-de-force like "Glitter and be gay" for the
moment - for the reasons I've suggested about making sure that technical
demands don't inhibit expressiveness. (I'll toss in a few operetta solos
that might also kindle some emotion in your singer.)

"Simple Joys of Maidenhood" from CAMELOT

"How could I ever know?" from THE SECRET GARDEN

"Surabaya Johnny" from HAPPY END (Kurt Weill)

"I hate men" and "So in love" from KISS ME KATE

"It's all the same" and "Aldonza" from MAN OF LA MANCHA

"Far from the home I love" from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

"Lover, come back to me" from Sigmund Romberg's THE NEW MOON

"Could I leave you?" from Sondheim's FOLLIES

"Your daddy's son" from RAGTIME

"Soliloquy" from ROBERT AND ELIZABETH

"If I were a bell" from GUYS AND DOLLS

"Just you wait" and "Without you" from MY FAIR LADY

"You'll never walk alone" from CAROUSEL

"Shall I tell you what I think of you?" from THE KING AND I

"Much more" from THE FANTASTICKS

"Is it really me?" from 110 IN THE SHADE

"Art is Calling Me (I want to be a prima donna)" from Victor Herbert's THE
ENCHANTRESS

"Mad about the boy" by Noel Coward

"Someone to watch over me" from Gershwin's OH KAY

"My dearest dear" from Ivor Novello's THE DANCING YEARS

"As long as he needs me" from OLIVER!

"If he walked into my life" from MAME

"Tell me on a Sunday" from TELL ME ON A SUNDAY (aka SONG AND DANCE) by
Andrew Lloyd Webber

"Mr. Snow" from CAROUSEL

"Somehow I never could believe" from Weill's STREET SCENE

"Nelson" from A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD

"Not a day goes by" from Sondheim's MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG

"Babette" from Cy Coleman's ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY

"Anything but lonely" from Lloyd Webber's ASPECTS OF LOVE

"I know things now" from Sondheim's INTO THE WOODS

"A call from the Vatican" from Maury Yeston's NINE

Basically, what we're looking for are songs that your singer can really
HAM UP - And you want to encourage her to HAVE FUN, LET GO, no holds
barred, forget subtlety, forget dramatic realism - just go for the most
extreme histrionic excess she can muster (which, if she is truly
as inhibited as you imply, may actually result in just the right
amount of honest expressiveness).

I also mentioned the possibility of sacred songs: these may work if your
soprano is religious/spiritual. I'm NOT thinking of Bach arias here! I'm
thinking of the crowd-pleasing sentimental sacred ballads, like "The Holy
City", Malotte's "The Lord's Prayer", "On Eagle's Wings", perhaps some
spirituals ("Were you there?", "My lord, what a morning", etc.), and even
some of the more emotional hymns like "The Old Rugged Cross" and "How
Great Thou Art". If you'd like something slightly more musically
"high-brow", you might also try Gounod's "Le Calvaire (There is a green
hill far away)" and "O Divine Redeemer", two very emotional sacred songs.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I want to know God's thoughts...
the rest are details.
- Albert Einstein

20350 Re: Expressiveness in singingClark_Diane   Sat  9/28/2002
20392 Feelings first vs. feelings nextJoscephine Gomez voice_consultant Fri  10/4/2002
20395 Re: Feelings first vs. feelings nextClark_Diane   Fri  10/4/2002

emusic.com