Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 27, 2002  5:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] soprano with violin

In a message dated 9/27/2002 11:08:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dalila@R... writes:

> Gustav Holst: Four Songs op 35

This are fabulous! Holst wrote them, believe it or not, with the idea that
the singer would also be the violinist...BUT...after he observed a young
singer trying this arrangement, he realized that the position needed for
playing the violin contradicted good vocal habits! Thank goodness.

I sang these on my thesis recital. They are subtle and lovely...marvelous
Holst melodies...and the violin and voice parts interweave beautifully. By
the way, the violin is the other half of the duet. No piano.

Sincerely,

Lynda Lacy
Hilton Head Island, NC (soon to be Lynda Lacy-Boltz of Raleigh, NC)

emusic.com