Vocalist.org archive

From:  "brian" <brigo@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 27, 2002  2:35 pm
Subject:  Vocal Behavior Training

Hello all.
Has anyone heard of "Vocal Behavior Training"?
It is a method developed by Dr. Raymind Smolover and it uses exercises that
VBT teachers claim work "directly" with the muscles and ligaments.

I have a friend who is a VBT teacher and she wants to work with me.
I am sceptical. The exercises seem a little harsh. It involves
strengthening what they call the "vocal Ligament". What they really mean is
falsetto.
These falsetto exercises involve "extoning", singing the tone in falsetto,
and then "in-toning", singthing the same tone in falsetto through a sort of
inhaling, like a gasp.

From then, you are supposed to add the heavier mechanism, which the VBT
people call the "Vocalis Muscle", and then for more power, you bring in what
they refer to as the "Aretynoid".
The whole thing sounds kind forced, expecially bring in the "vocalis
muscle". My VBT friend sounds like she is scooping to get out of the
falsetto "ligament" sound.

Anyone ever heard of this?

-brian
brian@t...