Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu Sep 26, 2002  12:38 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Looking for ideas

RE wrote:

> I am looking for some ideas on how to solve a problem with a student
of mine. .....she finds it very difficult to sing with passion, emotion,
sincerity etc. She certainly thinks it, but it do not come from her heart.

+++

First of all, the audience cannot read what is in a performer's mind OR heart.
The only thing an audience can receive is what they see (in face and gesture)
and hear (in vocal inflection). Therefore, it behooves the performer to develop
these three tools of communication so that they SHOW the emotions that a
character is supposed to be feeling. As we have pointed out before, it does not
really matter whether the performer is actually feeling those things or not,
though the act of creating the emotions externally often engages the performer
from the outside in. I recommend the books by Wesley Balk to assist with this
training process.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20318 Re: Looking for ideasAmanda Kelley mandasings Thu  9/26/2002

emusic.com