Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Sep 24, 2002  8:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition - Lloyd

To Lloyd and all

In a message dated Sat, 21 Sep 2002 2:09:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> I am assuming that Mary Beth is using the term "mix" as I am using
> the term "passaggio", that is, that pitch area between the
> function
> of vocal production into another vocal production.

Comment: Yes, I am referring to the mix as another way of explaining
passaggio.....I've also heard it called bridging.

Comment #2: In my previous post I was referring to the transitions from chest
voice to head voice, not chest voice to falsetto. Although all three involved
different employ different modes of vibration, falsetto is a form of vibration
that is divorced from chest and head modes. This is also why Miller refers to
chest and head voice as heavy and light mechanism. Therefore, I find that it is
fruitless to try and develop a function that ultimately can't be smoothed out
because of it's unique mode of vibrating. Hence, the perpetual flip or crack
that occurs as the voice slams into a fuller mode of vibrating. The only way to
cover up this crack is to do it extremely quietly, and really the crack doesn't
get covered up, it just can't be heard because of the soft dynamic. Further, a
falsetto function can be produced anywhere in one's range male or female.

Developing male voices: This is a point I disagree on also. By using the correct
exercises, I am able to get all of my male students into head voice,
irregardless of age. The emphasis is on learning the co-ordination first. All
voices function anatomically the same, therefore to say that some voices
don't/can't learn a co-ordination until a certain age, is to make a wrong
assumption. However, although the co-ordination can be learned, the amount of
sound/weight one puts on the voice is completely commensurate with age.
To avoid learning the co-ordination until a set age, would be to say that a
young adult male should not start exercising until he reaches a certain height
or weight because his body would not be completely developed until then.
Certainly, one would not ask a 15 year old to sound like a mature 30 year old
dramatic tenor, but he can learn the co-ordination at a young age and build
strength as the growth of his larynx allows.

If I missed an explanation like this in a post, I apologize, I skimmed the
replies very quickly.

Best,
Mary Beth F.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20306 Re: Head to Chest transition - LloydDavid Grogan   Tue  9/24/2002
20307 Re: Head to Chest transition - LloydDomisosing@a...   Tue  9/24/2002
20308 Re: Head to Chest transition - LloydDavid Grogan   Tue  9/24/2002
20309 Re: Head to Chest transition - LloydLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Tue  9/24/2002
20312 Re: Head to Chest transition - LloydDomisosing@a...   Wed  9/25/2002

emusic.com