Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Mon Sep 23, 2002  1:32 pm
Subject:  Considerations for grad school audition repertoire

As I prepare this repertoire and make my selections,
are there any special concerns I should be aware of?
I do not have anything set firmly, except that I was
hoping to sing Porgi, amor for the opera aria.
Although I know there is an argument for singing
something that will not be heard 10 times an hour, it
does fit like a glove and demonstrates much of my
finer vocal and musical abilities. Comments?

Aside from that, I am wondering - should I be
concerned with every piece being "difficult"
technically, musically, etc.? I know there is a
desire to prove that I can learn this music, but is it
important for EVERY piece to fall into this category?
For example, I have some lovely Clara Schumann pieces
that I would like to use for lieder - they are
beautiful, but not showy in any way. Should I avoid
them?

Looking forward to hearing from you, especially those
of you who hear these auditions each semester!

Melinda

20298 Re: Considerations for grad school audition repertoireAmanda Kelley mandasings Mon  9/23/2002
20299 Re: Considerations for grad school audition repertoireImthurn Melinda   Mon  9/23/2002
20303 Re: Considerations for grad school audition repertoireCynthia Donnell   Tue  9/24/2002

emusic.com