Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Sep 22, 2002  9:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Head to Chest transition.

Thanks a lot Mary Beth and Lloyd.

I think these soft exercises I do from the top down to the
lower chest voice and back, are what Diane describes as
sirens. Unfortunately in the female voice this conjures up
a rather startling image and what I do is much softer than
I imagine a siren is. Though admittedly later in the work
my children beg for a break. :)

Still, as you mention Lloyd, the soft singing appears to
be an important part of the daily set up using this exercise.

My transition seems to be very consistently at my
low F sharp but it's only obvious if the support is faulty.
The more I do these exercises the smoother the flow and
the lower and softer the lower end of the siren. So if the
lowering of the lower end of the range can be used as an
indication, then it would appear that I am actually into a
reasonably produced chest voice.
I know I've done enough for the day when the
smoothness and ease of reversibility has been attained.
I've applied the "few" approach Lloyd and it sits well with my
previous use of "Oo".

As to the "proper chest voice" if my experience is worth
anything, only proper support ensures the smooth transit
of "Venus", even on the soft tones.

Next enquiry, during these sirens I only have ONE
transition!!! If the passagio has two, what do I do to
discover the other?

Another thought Lloyd... you mentioned some time ago
that the vocal ligaments (within the folds I think),
were used in the upper notes, and the ..."something"
muscles in the lower range. So have I got the right
image that this siren is to exercise the change over
from the muscles to the ligaments and back? "Cos
that's what it feels like. Please pardon
my antipodean approximations.

Reg.

emusic.com