Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Sep 21, 2002  12:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Alexander Technique

Preach on, brother! Having had that 'religious devotion' to a nationally
recognized teacher for WAY too many years, I FINALLY had the courage to
realize I was not singing on a professional level, bit the bullet, and went
to one of the best teachers in the country. What I learned was a revelation,
because it all made sense, was so simple in concept (though I struggled to
unlearn my ideas of what my voice was supposed to sound like), and gave me
the tools I wanted.

Here is a fact you can bank on: judge your teacher not by the singing
of the teacher's most gifted pupil, but by the high level of singing found
in the teacher's students of average talent.

Mark

"Sing on the interest, not on the principal" - Florence Page Kimball, to
her student Leontyne Price
"The voice is not a fist." - Fritz Wunderlich
"I sing with a slim voice." - Birgit Nilsson

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 Greypins@a... wrote:

> none of the following: alexander technique, feldenkrais, trager, reiki,
> pilates, etc. are a substitute for vocal technique. ... i have known
> so many singers who have turned to body work in the desperate attempt to
> make their singing work when, what they really need to do is to get rid of
> their religious devotion to a teacher who has failed to teach them how to
> sing.

emusic.com