Vocalist.org archive

From:  Joscephine Gomez <voice_consultant@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 19, 2002  5:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Allergy Season Questions

To didigirl:
In my many years of performing experience and with my exposure to so many
anti-histamines and decongestants - some of them steroids, I can tell you that
there is not one of them that has no side effect - with the effect on one's
vocal clarity, quality and comfort of release, specially on the high notes, as
the most perceivable.
When the body feels a little sedated, ease with tone production as well as
expression is very much affected. When the thoat dries up a bit, as is the case
with most decongestants, vocal quality is altered. Worse, there is every chance
of the voice breaking , if not coughing or clearing the throat somewhere in the
performance.
voice_consultant

didigirl12000 wrote:After reading all these posts on steroids and weight
gain/loss and
how they affect the voice I am wondering this...

Does taking Flonase or Nasonex cause weight gain like taking a
steroid like prednisone? I recently lost 20 lbs. and now that it is
allegy season I started taking Zyrtec a couple of weeks ago. I
sometimes wonder if the Zyrtec has affected my voice or if it is the
allergies themselves. Has anyone felt that Zyrtec has adversely
affected their singing voice?

But now when I sing I feel like I am "stuffed up" especially for the
high notes and they don't seem to "come out" as usual (it
feels "blocked"). I usually take Flonase or Nasonex (along with the
Zyrtec) for these allergies but have read that steroids can add to
weight gain. Does that include inhaled steroids?

Sometimes when I go to the ENT he injects what he calls a steroid
into each nostril which he says last for a few months. I don't know
what it is called - maybe someone else knows. Does this affect the
voice? Can I gain weight from that?

I'd appreciate any answers.

Didi