Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tracey" <vocalist@v...>
Date:  Fri Sep 20, 2002  10:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Domain Name (was: ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.)

Hi,
Quick intro as I haven't posted for a while. I'm Tracey, the
webmaster and editor for the vocalist.org.uk site which is currently
being re-designed. I have another suggestion to add to the discussion
& apologies in advance for the long post!

The Vocalist site has grown too large for its free host and will be
moving to a dedicated host within the next couple of months. It is
already feature and content rich with links to this newsgroup in many
sections. We are in the top 5 - 10 listings of many major UK & US
search engines with most vocal related keywords averaging 2000+ hits
a month of unique visitors worldwide which is growing daily with all
standards, styles and ages of singer frequenting the site.

Although we have a messageboard/forum, I've never had the time to
build it into a proper discussion group and regularly point people in
your direction. I feel we could benefit each other by joining forces
and would be honoured if you would consider the possibility.

Having read some of the posts on this subject, I'll answer a few
questions that I'm sure will arise:

Q. Who will moderate/manage the list
A. Whoever you wish - I think the current moderator does an excellent
job and the list should be maintained in the current format or any
other that you choose (in other words folks I don't want to interfere
in any way - its great exactly how it is!!)

Q. Adverts!
A. Although the vocalist.org.uk site has affiliate ads, we are non-
profit, all monies go into producing the site which means we control
what we put on the page (except for the free hosts pop-ups which will
disappear when we move the site). I personally hate ads in emails
and on discussion groups and the only ad that would be required is a
link to the vocalist.org.uk main site. Other than that do what you
like - there will be no ads placed on your pages or in your emails
unless you choose to put them there.

Q. Email & Spam
A. Unfortunately there is no solution to spam, but you won't receive
any from me. We don't give, sell or otherwise abuse our users
addresses and I have no interest in having access to the lists which
I feel should be held by the moderator.

Q. Space
A. Shouldn't be a problem, we're getting 300+ mb of which 100mb will
be in use by the vocalist & electricbluesclub.co.uk sites, plenty of
room for you and us to grow!

Q. Archives
A. Part of that was answered above, however, I've previously asked
permission from the relevant people to use postings that were
particularly interesting or answered queries that are asked on a
regular basis. This type of posting could be included as an article
at the site as well as being archived.

Q. Set up
A. I have a couple of .cgi programs which have the same facilities as
this list, I think that one of them is actually used by yahoo, the
only downside is that I'm not too hot on setting up .cgi programs but
will be more than happy to allow access to a listmember who would be
prepared to install and set it up to whatever configuration you
require. The group would have it's own url which could be
www.vocalist.org.uk/newsgroup/ (or discuss or whatever). Links to
the discussion group would be available from every page of the
vocalist.org.uk site as well as from the main page which could be set
up to display the latest threads.

Q. Leaving/Selling
A. The site is part of the non-profit musicians group
www.electricbluesclub.co.uk - both sites have been providing free
information and basic lessons online for about 2 years now. We are
here to stay and have no intentions of selling, giving up our sites
or charging for people to use the vocalist.org.uk site.

You are welcome to take a look at the vocalist site although the
current design is completely different from the new one which is
easier to read and navigate. The re-design will hopefully be finished
and online by the end of this month - its similar to (but different
from) the electricbluesclub.co.uk site which also advertises the
vocalist site ;-)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.
Cheers
Tracey
www.vocalist.org.uk

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20266 Re: Domain Name (was: ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.)Isabelle Bracamonte ibracamonte Fri  9/20/2002

emusic.com