Vocalist.org archive

From:  "ibracamonte" <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 19, 2002  4:00 pm
Subject:  ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.

I'd love to get the list moved from Yahoo, or at the very least axe
the "temporary" from our silly name. Here are the issues I see at the
moment:

1. Moving the list. As far as I know, NATS is still interested in
housing the list, with no restrictions on content or moderation, and I
believe one of our listmembers is working on that. It's been a while
since I got an update from her, though -- I'll email and check that
out.

2. If Lloyd is still willing to transfer the list to his university,
and the list majority agree (easy to determine with a poll, if
necessary), that would be great, too. Potential problems with that
include list administration by people who are not affiliated with the
university, and what happens to the list after he leaves (which I
believe is this year, or last year, or something?).

3. Bringing new people to the list is a crucial concern. We'll
stagnate without fresh blood. I put a reservation in for the old
"vocalist.org" domain name through a domain host server, but some
other domain host server snapped it up (I am assured that it was a
matter of "tenths of seconds" but was quite disgruntled nonetheless).
I'll try again next year (it comes up in July of every year) and see
what happens. At the very least, we need to get an informational page
directing people to the list, wherever the list happens to be, via the
web. We lost a TON of exposure when the www.vocalist.org website went
down. If John Cheshire could slap something up onto the vocalist.nu
page, that would be great. I'll also investigate who bought the
vocalist.org site and what they're willing to sell it for.

If we move the list from the yahoo site, I'll just amend the list
introduction to say that the list is now at XXX, please subscribe by
sending mail to YYY, etc. That way people could still search and find
the Vocalist through yahoogroups, but then would be redirected to the
"real" list. No loss of exposure there.

4. There is a "vocalist" at yahoogroups, but it's owned by Marko, and
God knows where he is. Even though it hasn't been active in years,
the yahoogroups people can't just give it to me. We could move to
"theVocalist" at yahoogroups; that would be a relatively simple switch
that I could take care of, if the group decides to stay here. I
created that group long ago (just in case) and it's all ready for us,
if necessary. I do agree that we've moved beyond the "temporary"
point. Again, I'd leave redirection instructions on the
vocalist-temporary page, in case anyone has a link to it on their
singer websites.

5. Anything else? I'm happy to continue as we are here, although
another couple of co-moderators to help filter the spam would be
wonderful, or I'm happy to pass the list off, or to help administer it
at a new location. If Lloyd or NATS are ready to make the switch, let
them speak now and then let the list decide if it wants to go.

Isabelle B.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20245 Domain Name (was: ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.)Karen Mercedes   Thu  9/19/2002
20246 Re: Domain Name (was: ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.)John Cheshire conn1922 Thu  9/19/2002
20259 Re: Domain Name (was: ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.)Tracey vocalistuk Fri  9/20/2002
20266 Re: Domain Name (was: ADMIN: list home, moving it, etc.)Isabelle Bracamonte ibracamonte Fri  9/20/2002

emusic.com