Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Sep 19, 2002  1:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] New here!!

LL wrote:

> Hello I'm new here and I am going to ask a question that has proably
> been asked a million times, but here goes. I've been singing all my
> life, I've never had any one on one lessons, but I've taken voice
> classes at my local communtiy college. I am interested in taking
> private lessons, how would I go about finding a good teacher. what
> should I look for/what questions should I ask and what anwers would I
> get from a good teacher. I'm 25 yrs old. I want to sing
> professionally. I really need your help!!!! I would like to have a
> teacher that is knowledgable of a diverse styles as I love music and
> all is beautiful to me.

Does your local community college have voice teachers you
can study with, whether through the college or privately?
If so, you may have had a chance to get to know one or more,
and know whether you click with them. I think for any
singer, basics are a must, and once you learn a little about
vocal technique, and your teacher doesn't relate to the
style you like to sing, then you're better-equipped to find
a teacher who's good for you technique AND style-wise. To
sing a few Italian songs, even though your ultimate goal is
popular music, won't hurt you, and you may learn some things
vocally that might elude you if you are alse dealing with
preconceptions based upon your idea of what popular singers
"should" sound like. Also, if you don't like that music
now, ou might find you like it more than you thought, and
it's never bad to learn to like more things!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com