Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Wed May 31, 2000  8:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: American School of Countertenors

Tako Oda wrote:

> MFoxy9795@a... wrote:
> > << As a matter of fact, John Butt, one of the foremost
> > authorities on early music, points out that the "vocal" stop on a pipe
> > organ is the one that has a vibrato! >>
> >
> > do you mean the Vox Humana????
> > Merry Foxworth
>
> *Maybe* It was years ago that I studied with him, but I can only assume
> so, since "vocal" and "vox humana" are pretty much the same thing. Am I
> mistaken that this is a vibratoed stop? I am not an organ player myself.

Hi Tako:

I did a project on organs many years ago and you are correct in assuming
that
the voice category of stops are "vibratoed". In some stops the air
stream is
mechanically pulsated and in some instances you can even hear the device
making a thwack-a-thwack-a sound as it "vibrates"! In other stops the
"vibrato" is produced by a second rank of pipes tuned slightly out of
tune so
that it produces beats.

Thank you for your first hand commentary on countertenoring (is that a
word?)
over the last while. The discussion has been most informative and has
allowed me a better understanding of what my three countertenors are
dealing
with. BTW they are all making good progress finding and releasing
inhibiting
tensions. With each release the singing is immediately easier, which
makes
for good reinforcement of the new coordination.

Cheers,
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com