Vocalist.org archive

From:  Laurel Muller <laurel@l...>
Date:  Thu Jan 1, 1970  6:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] narrowing down college list for undergraduate st

>My daughter is a senior in high school and we're getting set to decide
>on 3 colleges to apply for. She is intent on studying for a classical
>performance degree in voice and her first choice is Oberlin. I want her
>to audition for at least 2 other schools, but I haven't a clue which 2
>to focus on. We like the idea of a small campus with great voice
>teachers, of course, and a music curriculum that really teaches
>musicianship to singers, as well as pedagogy. We live in Washington
>State and she's insisting that she must go to school out of state.
>(teenagers). She attended the summer vocal academy for high school
>students this past July at Oberlin and loved the staff there. Of course
>I'm hoping she might win scholarships somewhere.. she has excellent
>grades and a good SAT score. Anyway, recommendations, anyone?

My daughter just graduated from Lawrence University (www.lawrence.edu) in
Appleton Wisconsin. They have a very respected music conservatory. We
were consistently impressed with all their musical productions. They have
pretty good scholarships, especially for academics.

They have a similar program to Oberlin where you can go for five years
and end up with a BMus and a BA. Lawrence is not quite as competitive as
Oberlin. It is about half as large, I believe (around 1300 students, all
undergrad). We looked at both and felt that Lawrence had a more nurturing
atmosphere. By the way, we live in Oregon, so the distance is a pain, but
there are really no comparable schools in the Northwest, as far as I know.

If your daughter is interested in Lawrence and would like to talk about
it to my daughter, let me know.

emusic.com