Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Sep 18, 2002  1:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Is singing for moderate people?

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, kerubiino wrote:

> Some of the most successful singers I know are fairly balanced, some
> even a bit boring, with good self esteem who don't care if they sing
> a bit under par at times. I am hyper and nervous. When I sing well
> it's good. When I don't I bomb. I guess you get the idea...
>
> I believe also that in the long run the patient ones will make it as
> they just have the character to persevere.
> Any thoughts?

Two words: Neil Shicoff

If you care to read a bit about this extremely high strung, nervous,
hyper, UNmoderate singer who headlines at the Met, the Wiener Staatsoper,
and other leading international opera houses (at the moment, he's singing
Hoffmann at the Paris Opera), you can find a link to my own Neil Shicoff
website on my main Web page at the address in my .sig, below.

A few other UNmoderate singers who are now recognised as among the
absolute greatest in opera history - before you rush to judgement about
your own character:

Franco Corelli (nearly paralysed with fear before every performance -
sometimes even cancelled when too anxious to go on)
Maria Callas
Jon Vickers
Geraldine Farrar
Mary Garden