Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Sep 17, 2002  2:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]Non vibrato?

In a message dated 9/17/2002 9:36:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
DCLARK@r... writes:

> The purpose of singing into a straw is not about support according to titze
> but to partially occlude the vocal tract to create favorable SUPRAglottal
> pressure. This in turn helps the superior portion of the folds adduct
> assisting the singer in finding his/her upper register.
> >
> +++
>
> I wasn't attempting to quote Titze -- simply to refer people to the article
> and to say what I use the straw for. I actually use it for several
> reasons, but Reg was discussing support, so I replied in kind.

The reason I brought it up was that the article you cited was by Titze and
you seemed to use the referencing of it as an attempt to validate to straw
technique as a means of achieving proper support. Titze describes its
purposes more along the lines of what I described above not as a support
issue. Therefore, the statement that singing into a straw to achieve support
is not homespun (which there is nothing wrong with that ... if it works it
works) is a bit misleading. The articles I've read about this technique do
not deal with the whole straw bit on that level. So, the notion that it is a
support tool is homespun and not really documented. However, that does not
mean it doesn't work on that level also but it is still faith based in a
sense.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com