Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Sep 17, 2002  3:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]Non vibrato?

In a message dated 9/17/2002 9:21:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
DCLARK@r... writes:

> Your method is not as homespun as you may think! In one of the most recent
> issues of the NATS Jounral of Singing, there was the SECOND article about
> the benefits of using an ordinary drinking straw to practice good
> phonation. (Can't find my copy -- can anyone help with this reference?)
> This is one of my favorite teaching tools, in private lessons, choruses and
> speech class. It helps them understand support like nothing else I know
> of.

The purpose of singing into a straw is not about support according to titze
but to partially occlude the vocal tract to create favorable SUPRAglottal
pressure. This in turn helps the superior portion of the folds adduct
assisting the singer in finding his/her upper register.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com