Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Mon Sep 16, 2002  11:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist]Non vibrato?

Mary Beth wrote:

> Typically older voices will develop a wobble, not because of lack of proper
support, but because of lack of proper vocal fold tension.

To me, support cannot BE proper without including proper vocal fold tension.

> Most singers have this happen as a result of carrying their head voice too low
into the chest voice. If you simply work on her developing a true chest voice
that mixes into the head voice, you should immediately hear a difference in the
vibrato rate.

I agree with this 100%.

> Try simple exercises such as singing a short a sound, as in apple, on a
three-tone scale beginning on the A below middle C. If she can hold the
connection to the third note and sustain it, you should hear an immediate
improvement in the vibrato rate.....

Great suggestion.

> ........without proper vocal fold adduction, adding more
> breathe pressure/support will only make matters worse.

As already noted, I did not suggest MORE support (which involves more than just
breath pressure), but PROPER support.

> Additionally, if my hunch is right, you will notice that her voice becomes
"bigger" and more "controlled" on the upper pitches of the staff, but she will
have few notes above the staff.........

Are you saying the person will lose her higher range? Why should that happen?
> ---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> http://www.rhodes.edu

emusic.com