Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed May 31, 2000  5:52 pm
Subject:  Re: TECH: American School of Countertenors and Falsetto

Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...> wrote:

Dear Peggy,

You're totally right that things are different now when it comes to
realism on stage in our time. Julius Caesar and Poppea are getting much
more play now that we have countertenors with decent chops. People like
Daniels are helping the comeback of some wonderful operas.

There was a level of craziness in how things were done in Baroque times
(castrating boys being the main offender)... still I have to admit I'm a
little sad that our collective imaginations have been so limited by TV
in recent times that utter realism is necessary for the survival of
works that are sublime in their own right.

PS: thanks for the feedback on my "male vocal tract" theory! :)

-Tako

emusic.com