Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mrandrew18" <mrandrew18@y...>
Date:  Wed Sep 11, 2002  1:31 am
Subject:  Re: Non-travesti Mozart soprano arias (was: Mozart - Cherubino)

I have to counter the Mozart recommendations Karen has offered.

Dove sono, from LE NOZZE DI FIGARO (Countess - it's shorter than
> "Porgi amor")

While shorter, Dove sono has it's own diffuculties, including
requiring a tremendous command of legato singing in a fairly high
tessitura.

> Batti, batti - or - Vedrai carino, from DON GIOVANNI (Zerlina)

fine

> E amore un ladroncello, from COSI FAN TUTTE (Dorabella)

don't know it...

> Non piu di fiori, from LA CLEMENZA DI TITO (Vitellia)

No young singer has any business going for Vitellia - in most
repertoire books (see Richard Boldrey, for instance) she's listed as a
dramatic mezzo soprano. The aria is REALLY long, really heavy, and
really involved - slow legato mixed with coloratura passages, and
requires an incredible command of the various parts of the voice. As
I teacher, I would never ever assign this to an undergraduate, let
alone any graduate student who I didn't feel really had a command of
their instrument.

Rachel A.

emusic.com