Vocalist.org archive

From:  Amanda Kelley <mandasings@y...>
Date:  Mon Sep 9, 2002  7:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Suggestions needed for vocal workshop

Tina Harris wrote:

On a related topic, does anyone have any comments on the method of focusing
your breath toward to lower back instead if the abdominal area?

Tina Harris

Tina, I'm not sure if I know exactly what you mean by "focusing" the breath
toward the lower back, but. . . to get a feel for the expansion of the back
muscles when inhaling, have the singer sit on a chair with both feet flat on the
floor. Have him bend at the waist, resting his torso on his thighs, and then
inhale. This process encourages expansion of the rib cage. . . an experience
some singers who only breath 'toward' the abdomen often lack. Hope that helps!

Mandi

emusic.com