Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Mon Sep 9, 2002  12:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Muscle Memory"

>. . . I'm
>using an imprecise shorthand to refer to a real phenomenon (like so
>many people trying to talk about singing!). I am finding it
>puzzling to get what seems to me a dismissive or invalidating
>response to describing this phenomenon. . . .

Omtara,

Please don't feel dismissed. I think some of us took you literally at your
word. That is a communication gap that happens easily in this field.

The phenomenon you describe is real and is also often called kinesthetic
memory.
As long as a singer knows where the memory is actually encoded, s/he is on
the right track.

Fine motor processing is complex, but whatever the mechanism actually in
play, the functional management of the process is an individual one. I too
have learned pieces (for juries) only to find they are perpetually at that
level. Other pieces (not for grades) were exploited for the use of the
voice and actually grew into something better after some development. I
see it from both sides.

Best of luck.

emusic.com