Vocalist.org archive

From:  "omtara" <omtara@h...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  11:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Muscle Memory"

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "michael.chesebro"
<michael.chesebro@w...> wrote:
> Have you ever worked with a person who has cerebral palsy? It
would
> clarify the effects of the motor nervous system for you if you
did.

Hi Michael -

I understand - I know that "muscle memory" isn't literally what
happens - the muscles themselves don't "remember" things, it's a
more complex interaction between nerves, muscle, and brain. I'm
using an imprecise shorthand to refer to a real phenomenon (like so
many people trying to talk about singing!). I am finding it
puzzling to get what seems to me a dismissive or invalidating
response to describing this phenomenon. I know many singers who have
experienced, and I myself have experienced, coming back to a piece
learned with little, bad or no technique, only to find that somehow
the "memory" of that old way of singing is still in the body, and
that a conscious effort must be made to "reprogram" the body to sing
that piece with the new technique. As you said, depending on how
it's learned to begin with, it can be a very big struggle, or just
take a little extra effort.

Karena

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20040 Re: "Muscle Memory"michael.chesebro   Sun  9/8/2002

emusic.com