Vocalist.org archive

From:  "omtara" <omtara@h...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  7:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Muscle Memory"

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> But, does it really exist? Do the muscles of singing really have
> memory of their own? If so, why should singers concern themselves
> with any kind of understanding of the workings of the voice. Just
> train up the muscles in way they should go and they will not
depart
> from it.

All muscles have a memory of their own. That is how we learn to
drive a car or ride a bike - the body remembers what it has to do
and it does them without us having to consciously tell it to do so.
Muscle memory is why each of us holds the habitual posture we do.
(I'm sure there is some more scientific term than "muscle memory"
that describes this phenomenon, but I don't know what it is). I
think a large part of singing IS training the muscles to do what
they need to do. It's not the entirety of it, of course, but a lot
of it is training the body to take the proper forms and actions in
order to produce the desired sound.

I find it hard to believe that there is no one on this list who has
struggled with singing a piece that they learned before they had a
working technique, and has had to rework that piece into their
voice.

Karena

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20029 Re: "Muscle Memory"Amanda Kelley mandasings Sun  9/8/2002
20030 Re: "Muscle Memory"Amanda Kelley mandasings Sun  9/8/2002
20031 Re: "Muscle Memory"omtara omtara Sun  9/8/2002
20034 Re: "Muscle Memory"michael.chesebro   Sun  9/8/2002
20037 Re: "Muscle Memory"omtara omtara Mon  9/9/2002
20040 Re: "Muscle Memory"michael.chesebro   Mon  9/9/2002

emusic.com