Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  2:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Summer Ramblings

Randy and Vocalisters:

You wrote:
>Having sung in the chicago symphony chorus as a professional member for over
>10 years with the renown Margaret Hillis I can tell you this is true to an
>extent. She believed the clear articulation of consonants (overkilling them
>most of the time) is what made the choir cut through the orchestra and gave
>it rhythmic energy. I never bought into this and instead found it made it
>difficult to get the words out on many occasions.

I agree completely. I wonder how choral directors ever got
themselves into this concept of overemphasizing consonants at the
expense of maintaining vowel tone line which gives any singing its
clarity and its listeners the possibility of connecting the
consonants within the continuous framework of vowels which is the
hallmark of all good singing
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com