Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Sep 7, 2002  11:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Summer Ramblings

Jocelyn...wow...you almost stumped me with your intricate verbiage.

Now I think I get your meaning, and I like it a lot. The only thing is
that perhaps we disagree but I'm not sure. :)

It is my impression that in speech we minimize the duration of our
consonants but when it comes to singing we generally have a hang-up
that in order to get the vocal line clear, we need to prolong the consonant.

I think this is a common error and a fatal one.

The need to rapidly transit the consonant to the tonal vowel, overrides the
need to prolong the consonant to achieve clarity and I think that in choirs
it is the main flaw, in that amateur singers seem to drag behind the conductor
as they mistakenly, but automatically, seek to get the consonants clear.
It is also my impression that many conductors exacerbate this problem by
calling for clarity of consonants, over rhythmic necessity.
Even some of the very best choirs do this.

Have I missed the point?

emusic.com