Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Sep 6, 2002  3:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The Countess-a discussion

Dear Mandi and Vocalisters:

Your comments about the possible age of the Countess in "Figaro" is,
in my opinion, correct. She is young. A wife for about five years
at most from the time of "Barber". A man was expected to stray after
about five years of marriage and the amorous courtier of "Barber" has
become the wayward husband of "Figaro" The Countess and Suzanna are
not many years apart in age, if at all.

You also wrote:
"The role of the Countess is one that I will probably never play, but
I found her arias to be very revealing of a great lyricism, and,
ultimately, a freer usage of my voice (not to mention a poise and
centeral usage of my body). Mozart's music works on so many levels.
I can't imagine it not being suitable, as a genre, for any level of
singer and his music can and will offer challenges every step along
the path of vocal understanding. "

I would, again, agree. In addition Mozart writes better for the
soprano voice than for any other voice type. He selects the best
possible vowels for each pitch or line emphasis which helps the
singer produce the "freer usage of (the) voice" that you mention.
One has only to transpose a Mozart soprano aria up or down to
discover that his choice of vowels are best for the original pitches
selected.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com