Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Sep 3, 2002  3:10 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Vocal crisis

>as much as private lessons.<<<<
>
>Absolutely John, I guess I was thinking more of what "they" recommend
>and the city I live in. (Alexander is ideally taught one-on-one
>intially so as to pinpoint the individual's weaknesses, but that
>doesn't mean that all the follow up for evermore needs to be done
>that intimately.)

My impression is that even in a class the Alexander Technique is
primarily taught one person at a time. Feldenkrais classes are not
like this at all, in that all the students follow the teacher's
instructions at the same time, making it possible to have even one
hundred people on the floor, each one of them having a personal
transformational experience.

>I have found it never hurts to ask if 'whoever'
>would consider being flexible and teaching a small group of people
>even if you have to get them together yourself. In Mirko's case for
>instance he has an entire cast of singers from the Magic Flute to try
>and con, I mean, persuade to make up a small group of maybe three or
>four perhaps. :-D
>
>BTW, Feldenkrais is the best thing I ever did for my back. There were
>no trained practitioners here when I first discovered it, I practised
>it from an extremely long (and expensive) series of tapes

I'm curiouys about what tapes you used and also what was the cost
that you would consider them expensive. Typically tapes go for about
$10 per 45-minute lesson. Given that tapes can be used many times,
I'd say that that is a great value if the lessons are any good.

> that were
>loaned to me and they were invaluable. And it was one of the most
>relaxing things outside of yoga that I have done. I think it must
>have a lot to do with the process and practise of concentration. I am
>however in the process of hopefully finding a group class to
>participate in at the moment as I am in desperate need of some
>regular bodywork. Curse my laziness!

Michelle, where do you live? Perhaps I can help you find a
Feldenkrais class near you.

John Link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs: