Vocalist.org archive

From:  Debra Johnson <debbiejo53142@y...>
Date:  Mon Sep 2, 2002  5:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] cortisone causes leukemia? was: Vocal crisis.

My spouse and I read to each other out loud in the
evenings, and I have noticed that my voice gets
noticeable less tired and hoarse if I move my voice
forward and upward in the mouth and speak from that
position while I read. The feeling I think is that the
vowels, for example, appear to rest somewhere under
the hard palate, rather than against the back of the
throat, and your glottal fry indicates that perhaps,
when you speak, you are speaking from your throat. If
that is the case, would it be an idea, if you have to
speak, that you speak from the same portions of the
mouth as you sing from?

In my case I know that I use better vocal technique in
singing than in speaking!

Best,

Deb.