Vocalist.org archive

From:  David Geary <dgeary@s...>
Date:  Mon Sep 2, 2002  6:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vocal crisis.

>> It can cause lucemia to break out if it is latent in the body, but might
>> never had developed
>> otherwise.
> really??? i have never heard of this (not that that's much of a
>guage but, what's your source?)!

A young baritone who was still ion the opera school took it one Christmas and
had to sing somewhere.
As a result he developed lucemia, and dies from it just before easter. Actually
he was starting to do better,
but it seems they did a bone marrow test and went too deep and punctured his
heart. This was before
you could sue doctors successfully.
A soprano I knew who was there as well (and later became an important soprano at
the ENO in London)
told me that in her 10 years previously working as a nurse, she had known of
three cases where this had happened.
The story of Carreras I heard from several sources, it was floating around in
the business. A baritone coleague
of my had it from Agnes Baltsa, who sang with Carreras a lot.

David

emusic.com