Vocalist.org archive

From:  lucialammermoor <lucialammermoor@y...>
Date:  Sun Sep 1, 2002  10:34 pm
Subject:  Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisis

As a former teacher, I can tell you there are 2 things
that generally happen to newer teachers: you get sick
a lot the first year with all the bugs your students
bring in and, if you aren't speaking correctly, you
can lose your voice. I've been exactly where you are,
and all my problems stemmed from improper speaking
techniques. Here's a few suggestions:

If you are teaching general music:

1. Revamp lesson plans to include videos to enhance
your current unit (not my fav, but I've done it in
similar circumstances for a brief time) or move up a
performance unit (the local schools teach guitar and
piano at the middle school level), with you floating
among the students during a practice session for one
on one instruction as much as possible. That way you
only give instructions at the beginning of the class
and have minimal talking during the rest of the time.

2. Have the students do the bulk of the talking if you
have handouts. Let them read directions out loud. If
they do as much reading as possible, it not only saves
your voice, it also allows them to practice their
reading skills (I've even found this necessary for
students at the high school level, but that's an
"off-topic" for discussion elsewhere :-)

3. Write directions on the board as much as possible.
This also saves questions if stragglers or the
inattentive didn't hear them the first time around -
but make them read them out loud off the board first!

4. Small group work can also be a useful thing when
you are having vocal troubles.

If you are a choral teacher:

1. list the rehearsal order for chorus on the board,
which not only saves your voice, but saves rehearsal
time if students have everything ready from the get go
and aren't fishing for pieces in the middle of class.

2. Challenge the students to see how much they can
pick up from your body language while you are
conducting - no verbal instruction (small beats for
quieter sections, use facial expressions for emotion).
This is also useful to get them used to watching you
during a performance.

If you have a mentor teacher, or know a music teacher
who's been in the business for a while, ask them for
advice.(Famous last words from a person who doesn't
like to ask for help herself!) As our wonderful MD
said, get thee to a doctor if you haven't already, and
check into vocal therapy. It helped me. If you need
any other ideas or just want some moral support, feel
free to email me.

> I recently lost my voice (about 2 months ago) after
> starting work full-time as a music
> teacher.....teaching has made it impossible for me
> to have substantial time off from using my voice

Lisa
who didn't go back to lurking for long!
lucialammermoor@y...

19947 Re: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisEdgewoodVoiceStudio edgewoodvoicestudio Sun  9/1/2002
19948 Re: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisCaio Rossi   Mon  9/2/2002
19952 Re: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisClark_Diane   Mon  9/2/2002
19969 Re: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisdrama_diva_au drama_diva_au Tue  9/3/2002
19982 Re: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisLeslie Jones leslie_i_jones Wed  9/4/2002
19990 Re: Singing and teaching was: Vocal crisisdrama_diva_au drama_diva_au Thu  9/5/2002

emusic.com