Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Mon Aug 26, 2002  2:25 pm
Subject:  Your opinion on returning to school

Another list member and I have been discussing this
and I thought it would be nice to hear some other
opinions from the list. I am planning to return to
graduate school and pursue a MM in performance next
year. I already have a grad degree in pedagogy, but
still need performance polish and experience as well
as more familiarity with the literature, improved
language skills, and better piano skills.

I teach adjunct voice on the community college level
now and would like to do so full time. I am aware
that I do not need the degree to attain such a
position, but, in addition to making me better
qualified and better at the job, I want to have the
time to focus on singing for a change. I have felt
that school is the least expensive way to do this and
would also (assuming I get a TAship) allow me more
time to focus on music because I would not have my day
job, which leaves me with little time to do so. Going
back to school would also provide more performance
opportunities than I currently have.

The suggestion is that I instead spend my money on
studying with a teacher outside of the school and take
classes in literature, piano, performance, languages,
etc. on my own. I’d like to hear opinions from others
of you who have been there or who or already in
positions such as I desire, etc. Although I believe
I’ll know what feels like the right decision when the
time comes, your views would be interesting to hear!

19893 Re: Your opinion on returning to schoolEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  8/26/2002
19894 Re: Your opinion on returning to schoolLloyd W. Hanson   Mon  8/26/2002
19895 Re: Your opinion on returning to schoolImthurn Melinda   Mon  8/26/2002

emusic.com