Vocalist.org archive

From:  omigurt@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 16, 2002  10:02 pm
Subject:  re: moving to NY

A couple of thoughts about moving to New York:

Generally, living in the outer boroughs is cheaper. The commutes into
midtown (i.e. audition land) are longer but you will soon learn to memorize
music on the subway! A friend of mine used to live in Riverdale (Bronx) and
had a huge apartment for half what I paid for my studio on the upper west
side. I have a lot of friends who love Brooklyn too, particularly Park Slope.

Start encouraging your immune system now. You will be encountering more
people in any given day than you probably ever have before. Most of them are
nice people, but even nice people sometimes cough into their hands and then
hold onto the grab bars in the subway! Cultivate the habit of washing your
hands frequently, and buy a package of disposable wipes. My personal belief
is that the antibacterials are useless (colds are caused by viruses,
remember) and environmentally dangerous. If you look carefully you can still
find products that aren't antibacterial -- the equivalent of old fashioned
soap and water.

As for teachers, everyone probably thinks his or her own is the best in the
world. A good strategy is to talk to people whose singing you admire and
whose approach you agree with, and find out whom they study with. A good
resource for coach referrals is the New Forum for Classical Singers, which is
largely populated by New York temp/freelancers, the working aspirants. I
believe Classical Singer magazine also has a web site which lists coaches and
their particular interests, fees, etc.

You can get half price tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Don't
overlook smaller (and cheaper) theatres. There's a ton of good art out there
that might not have the publicity machine behind it. There's art and there's
commerce; know the difference. You can also find lots of free concerts if
you keep your eyes and ears open. Time Out New York is a favorite source of
information, as are the Times and the New Yorker.

"Making it" in New York is tough. It takes time and is going to be harder th
an you think. Give yourself space to take care of yourself emotionally and
spiritually, as well as vocally. Find a circle of friends, a congregation, a
yoga class, a quilting bee, etc. and try to strengthen yourself for the long
haul.

Best of luck!
Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com