Vocalist.org archive

From:  "taylor23ferranti" <taylor23f@h...>
Date:  Sun Aug 11, 2002  3:11 pm
Subject:  a brief review on C. Reid's new book

Hello All,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer! I just recieved my
copy of "The Modern Singing Master: Essays in Honor of Cornelius
Reid." Although Reid himself writes a chapter about his journey of
over sixty years as a voice teacher, the rest of the chapters are by
his students, voice scientists (like Stephen Austin), and Alexander
and Feldenkreis teachers. Probably Reid's most famous student,
Tenor Jon Stewart, writes a chapter on the vocal exercises which are
used in a typical Reid lesson. The four major areas of the book
revolve around the four major componants of Reid's teaching: The two-
register theory, vowel purity, the use of rhythm in vocal training,
and the use of dynamics. These are four rather basic building-
blocks. Reid has never tried to reinvent the wheel...just to adhere
to the masters of our art. Oh, there is a very interesting chapter
entitled, "Could Maria Callas' voice have been saved?" Hats off to
the author for having the guts to let that title go to print;)

The book is a must read for any serious teacher or singer. You can
check it out at scarecrowpress.com

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate, LSU
Certificate of Vocology
Associate Director of Music
First Presbyterian Church
Baton Rouge, LA

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19831 Re: a brief review on C. Reid's new bookGreypins@a...   Sun  8/11/2002
19832 Re: a brief review on C. Reid's new bookJohn Link   Sun  8/11/2002
19902 Re: a brief review on C. Reid's new bookJohn Link   Tue  8/27/2002

emusic.com