Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Thu Aug 8, 2002  5:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] music therapy question

At 10:58 AM 8/7/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> i have a friend who is curious about music therapy as a
> profession, to
>the point of considering a career change. she is a working biologist so,
>her science background is unquestionable. however, her music background
>consists only of high school and community chorus, voice lessons and she is
>planning on starting piano lessons this fall.

I think that it may be a sort of sub-specialty in physical therapy. She
would have to have a background in medical terminology, PT terminology,
kinesiology, and stuff I know nothing of. The music therapists I've seen
(on tv only) were dealing with gait and motion. What's more, if Medicare
doesn't reimburse for it, neither will the insurance companies. That means
you can only treat people who pay out of pocket. Long-story-short, limited
market for it (unless done under the guise of physical therapy).

Tell her to keep looking into it. I think its time is still coming.

emusic.com