Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Aug 5, 2002  3:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] (unknown)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Anthony Howden wrote:

> Hey everyone I'm new to the group and I was just have one question
> Many of you talk about different classifications of the voice i.e lyric sop,
dramatic bari, spinto tenor. What is the difference between all these? Is there
a site someone can direct me to or someone who could list all the
classifications and their qualites. Thanks
> Anthony H

The best source for this info that I've found is Robert Rushmore's book
THE SINGING VOICE, which is unfortunately out of print, but often turns up
at Alibris.com, and in many libraries.

Online, there's a reasonably good "dictionary" of vocal categories in the
San Diego Opera Source Book, which can be found online at (be sure to cut
and paste the entire URL if you're using a reader that doesn't do
hyperlinks):

http://www.sdopera.org/mktg05.nsf/3d9d34cbebec8008882569de00162c21/48a022dbfc4d4\
495882569f8007501dd?OpenDocument

I recently found an online redux of operatic vocal categories that is
quite amusingly opinionated, and should NOT be taken as accurate!

http://members.aol.com/chaspen/vocal.html

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I