Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Fri Aug 2, 2002  12:19 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] New sacred solos for mezzos

> >> 2. "A Simple Song" from Bernstein's "Mass" - good for mezzo, low
> sop., or baritone<<

From Karen:

>>This is interesting. I recently performed this with organ, and have to
admit that the organist had a similar reaction at first - until I
suggested he experiment with some of the other "voices" of the organ. As a
result, we were able to find different "voices" to express the different
moods in different sections of the piece - as well as a flute "voice"
appropriate for the flute solo at the end. The organist was so pleased
with the result that he's still talking about it, and also about looking
forward to working with me on other repertoire where we can be similarly
adventurous in finding appropriate "voices" for different moods in the
music.<<

I think our organist actually ended up enjoying it too, despite everything.
One of our other section leaders ended up singing it at a wedding a few
weeks later, and the organist didn't have anything to say about not doing
it. Never admitted it to me, but, you know...

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com