Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singercogs" <stedco@e...>
Date:  Thu Aug 1, 2002  10:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] HELP!!!!!! Audition Dilemma

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...> wrote:

> Professional casting directors listen and look. For the most part they don't
care what you sing; it how you sing it that counts.

Amen! I used to waste a lot of energy (and gave a lot of bad auditions) trying
to find the PERFECT song for each new audition. I had much more luck once I
stuck to a set of standard audition pieces, chosen to show what I think I do
best. I won't sing anything at an audition that I haven't polished for at least
six
months. Consequently, I can sing my stuff if I'm sick, if the pianist isn't
great, if
Jupiter isn't aligned with Mars, etc... It takes a lot of pressure off, and I
end up
giving a much more accurate representation of my abilities.

If I don't have something already in my audition book that is somewhat
appropriate for a show, most likely I am not appropriate for the show. Nothing I

can do in a week or two is going to hide that from a good casting director. On
the flip side, if I am somewhat appropriate for a show, singing Song A instead
of Song B isn't going to hide that from a good casting director either. So, I
refuse to freak out over song choice anymore, and I think I'm much better off.

So Rose, I suggest you think about singing what you love to sing the most,
and show them who Rose is (making sure you adhere to the posted audition
requirements to the letter!). Let them decide if they can turn Rose into their
vision of Marguerite. What a shame it would be if you second guessed them,
wore your highest heels and lost the part because they were looking for
someone shorter. :)

Break a leg!
Steven Cogswell

emusic.com