Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Thu Aug 1, 2002  9:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] HELP!!!!!! Audition Dilemma

Rose wrote:

> In Two Weeks I Have An Audition For A Regional Production Of *The Scarlet
Pimpernel* And Am Trying For The Role Of Marguerite St Just.......
> I've Prepared A Few Songs, And My Question Is Would It Be Better. . .

Dear Rose,

If you are auditioning for a community theatre production with a local director
I'd say to follow Karen's suggestions. If this is a professional director and
you are auditioning for either community or summer stock it's a different
mindset.

Professional casting directors listen and look. For the most part they don't
care what you sing; it how you sing it that counts. These people listen to your
voice, your tone and your range. Usually they have a certain voice type in mind
and unless you meet their standards, no matter how well you sing, you won't get
the part. They are also seeking a type of character but you don't know what
they are looking for. But you need to show confidence in yourself. Whether
you're tall or short just be yourself. Be comfortable with who you are. When I
see a girl come into
an audition with very high heels I think the girl has no confidence because she
is concerned about how short she is. I will look intently at a short girl who
has the moxie to go on stage and kick off her heels to do the audition. That
takes guts and to me it means she has the ability to grab a situation and make
the most of it. If I have a taller girl in mind for the part her actions wil
cause me to think again.

Just go to the audition with all the confidence you can muster and let it take
its course. Just remember, you are not in control of anything but yourself so
be the very best that you can be.

Dr. Dean

--
http://www.mp3.com/stations/epilogue_records_artistshtml
http://www.mp3.com/LizSmith and

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19789 Re: HELP!!!!!! Audition Dilemmasingercogs   Thu  8/1/2002

emusic.com