Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Aug 1, 2002  2:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] HELP!!!!!! Audition Dilemma

My experience with musical theatre auditions is that you're better off
singing a piece that is NOT likely to be sung by other people auditioning,
and which is not from the show you're auditioning for. This said, were it
my choice between your two options, I'd go with the song from the Concept
Album of PIMPERNEL that was cut from the score, and thus is unlikely to be
included in the production you're auditioning for. Given the relative
dearth of Wildhorn material in general, and alto-belt solos in particular
(Marguerite was written for Linda Eder, and alto belter) by him - just
because he's only written a handful of shows - the JEKYLL and CIVIL WAR
solos are likely to be trotted out by a lot of singers. That's not to say
the cut PIMPERNEL songs might not also show up (I have never forgiven
Wildhorn for cutting "Marguerite" and "Our Separate Ways", which were
not only two of the best songs in the show, but which implied a more
complex, sypathetic personality for Chauvelin than the more simplistic
villain he became in the rewrite), but some people may be
less likely to consider doing them because they simply will avoid using
songs from either of the PIMPERNEL songbooks.

Of course, you COULD do a song by another composer - and indeed, should
certainly consider this if you think you might find a song that shows off
more of your vocal and dramatic abilities than "Home again", "Now when the
rain falls", or "I'll forget you".

As for the high heels - if you can sing and move well in them, I'd say
wear them. Unfortunately, much of a director's casting decision of often
based on the performer's physical appearance. A director with a prejudice
against the altitudinally challenged might well be less inclined to cast
an under 5 foot woman who shows up in flats. If you can find some way to
detract from the fact that you're wearing heels - wear a long skirt or
elegant trousers - you might do even better at your "ruse" of appearing
taller than you are.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I